Forest Service Archaeologists wrapped Whisky Camp Guard Station with protective material. The station was built in the 1940’s and served as the summer home of a fireguard whose primary duties included chasing smokes, fighting fires, maintaining phone lines and trails, patrolling for fires, and preventing fires.
Firefighters deliberately burn around Whisky Camp Guard Station as a way to protect against approaching wildfire.
Still wrapped in protective material, the Butler Butte cabin was built in 1942 as one of America’s Aircraft Warning System stations. The cabin was home for a couple whose job was to watch for approaching enemy aircraft during World War II and balloons loaded with incendiary devices meant to set fire to western forests. The cabin is now used for as a recreational rental by the Tiller Ranger District, and will be available as a rental again after the current fire danger ceases.